12.1.17

Book shopping anyone?

Trying to save money over the holidays is an impossible feat within itself. However, add an impulsive book buying habit to that and you've got a problem. Well, not a problem per se, but let's just say if I ever want to save up for something important then I'm going to have to leave my card at home. That being said, I have nothing to save for yet, so here we are! Neck deep in pre-orders, proofs and many, many books! Yaaaay! Over December and the start of January I've found stories I have fallen in love with, books I desperately want to read and covers I've pretty much been fawning over since I've purchased them. So without further ado, let the fan-girling commence. 

My current read is Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. The gold foil moths are giving me intense tattoo vibes, as I'm sure they have lots of other people. I haven't got too far into this book yet, I did start it a while ago but between being sick over Christmas, work and being in a bit of a reading slump, I haven't been motivated. Now that's not to say this this book is the reason for my lack of motivation, because it is not. The writing is superb, I love the mystery and I love Lazlo Strange and his aesthetic. So far all I know about him is that he spends all of his time in a library surrounded by books and quite likes it that way. Someone after my own heart. 

 
(Picture taken by Louise Inniss)

This book drops on March 28th 2017 and I can't wait to see it on the shelves. 

Goodreads synopsis: 

The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around— and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he's been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance to lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo's dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? and if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

In this sweeping and breathtaking new novel by National Book Award finalist Laini Taylor, author of the New York Times bestselling Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, the shadow of the past is as real as the ghosts who haunt the citadel of murdered gods. Fall into a mythical world of dread and wonder, moths and nightmares, love and carnage.

Welcome to Weep.
 



I recently finished a beautiful book, and I've busy convincing lots of other people to read it too. Booksellers and customers alike, I'm sure people are getting fed up of me going on. But this is my blog, and I do what I want. I've already tweeted with the author about how much I love her book but now I'm going to TALK ABOUT IT SOME MORE! Caraval by Stephanie Garber

For fans of The Night Circus, the slightly twisted, the plot twist lovers and magically inclined, read this book. I'm not asking. It's for your own good. You can thank me later. This book is everything you'd want from a story set on a mysterious island, where a coveted ticket to take part in a special performance is a childhood dream come true for Scarlett. Or is it?
I love the characters, I love how the story has you questioning everything, I love how Stephanie Garber has managed to leave me infatuated with a character that was barely in the book. This is why I need a book two.

 

You haven't got long to wait for this one, January 31st 2017 and you can have it all to yourself. I personally have a signed and numbered first edition from Goldsboro Books pre-ordered which I can't WAIT to get. If I haven't convinced you to pre-order one for yourself, it is the most highly anticipated book YA of 2017 on goodreads so... take a leap of faith. 


Goodreads synopsis:

Welcome to Caraval, where nothing is quite what it seems.

Scarlett has never left the tiny isle of Trisda, pining from afar for the wonder of Caraval, a once-a-year week-long performance where the audience participates in the show.

Caraval is Magic. Mystery. Adventure. And for Scarlett and her beloved sister Tella it represents freedom and an escape from their ruthless, abusive father.

When the sisters' long-awaited invitations to Caraval finally arrive, it seems their dreams have come true. But no sooner have they arrived than Tella vanishes, kidnapped by the show's mastermind organiser, Legend.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But nonetheless she quickly becomes enmeshed in a dangerous game of love, magic and heartbreak. And real or not, she must find Tella before the game is over, and her sister disappears forever.
 


Fire meets frost in a thrilling tale from the perspective of a seventeen year old girl called Ruby, a Fireblood. Frostblood by Elly Blake is my next read on my TBR, and in waiting for my reading slump to disappear this book finally came out! I'm really hoping for some brilliant characters and much mayhem. And big battles. Ooooh I'm so excited to read this! I've already taken the test online to see whether I'm a Fireblood or a Frostblood and apparently I'm a Frostblood. Here's hoping that's a good thing! I'm sure I'll find out soon. 

 

You can already pick up your copy of Frostblood now! If you needed an excuse to go to the bookshop, there it is!

Goodreads synopsis: 

Seventeen-year-old Ruby is a fireblood who must hide her powers of heat and flame from the cruel frostblood ruling class that wants to destroy all that are left of her kind. So when her mother is killed for protecting her and rebel frostbloods demand her help to kill their rampaging king, she agrees. But Ruby's powers are unpredictable, and she's not sure she's willing to let the rebels and an infuriating (yet irresistible) young man called Arcus use her as their weapon.

All she wants is revenge, but before they can take action, Ruby is captured and forced to take part in the king's tournaments that pit fireblood prisoners against frostblood champions. Now she has only one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who has taken everything from her and from the icy young man she has come to love.

Fast-paced and compelling, Frostblood is the first in a page-turning new young adult three-book series about a world where flame and ice are mortal enemies—but together create a power that could change everything.



For the past few months at work, every time I remember to I search for my highly anticipated titles on our system to see if they're available for pre-order. For the longest of times A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas was not on there, much to my disappointment. Then after the mayhem that was the Christmas shopping period I once again tried my luck and did some searching, and lo and behold, there it was. 
So yes, I finally have my paperback pre-ordered at Waterstones and whilst I know I will have to wait a couple of weeks for the hardback to hit the UK I AM STILL SO PSYCHED. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS BOOK. I NEED TO KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TO LUCIEN AND FEYRE AND CASSIAN AND AZRIEL AND NESTA AND ELAIN AND AMREN AND RHYS AND MOR AND BASICALLY EVERYONE EXCEPT TAMLIN FUCK TAMLIN. I NEED THIS BOOK.

If you haven't read A Court of Thorns and Roses yet then you have no idea what I'm talking about, but you should. This retelling of Beauty and The Beast is one of my all time favourite book series. A Court of Mist and Fury was my favourite book of 2016, and the fact that it was for a lot of other people too shouldn't put you off, the hype is justified. Trust me. 

There isn't a cover yet for this book so I'm going to share the inspired cover that Lexi on Goodreads has made herself, which I imagine is going to be very true to its word. 


If you're up to date with this series like me, then we have to wait until the 2nd of May 2017 to feel the feels of feelings. However, if you haven't started this series yet, now is a good time to catch up. I guarantee you everyone will be talking about this book when it is released into the world, more so then they are already talking about it. Also don't read this synopsis if you haven't caught up, spoilers!

Goodreads synopsis: 

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
 



Executions, ambushes, sex, a floating market, and death are just some of the things V.E. Schwab promises in A Conjuring of Light, and my god am I excited for all of the above. So far we've only seen some snipits of what is yet to come, my favourite being: 

Alucard leaned across the desk.
"Do you even know how to sail, mas vares?" The honorific was said with serpentine sweetness. "I didn't think so."
"How hard can it be," snarled Kell, "if they let someone like you do it?"
A glint of mischief flashed in the captain's eyes.
"I'm rather good with hard things. Just ask-"
The blow caught Alucard across the cheek.

I love this series and I recommend it to anyone who goes near the Sci-Fi/Fantasy and/or YA section at work. Four Londons, magic, pirates, a magical coat and treachery. Sound awesome? I agree. I have already been hurt by this series and I expect to be hurt even more soon. Especially considering this is going to be the final for the trilogy. *sadface*

(picture from goodreads)

This gorgeous book will be mine on the 28th of February 2017. If you haven't read the Shades of Magic series then stop what your doing, go to your nearest bookshop and do yourself a favour, buy it, read it, love it. And don't read this next synopsis because spoilers. 

Goodreads synopsis: 

London's fall and kingdoms rise while darkness sweeps the Maresh Empire—and the fraught balance of magic blossoms into dangerous territory while heroes and foes struggle alike. The direct sequel to A Gathering of Shadows, and the final book in the Shades of Magic epic fantasy series, A Conjuring of Light sees Schwab reach a thrilling culmination concerning the fate of beloved protagonists—and old enemies.


One more book, just to stop myself from giving you a super long list.
This is one I've found out about only recently, and I kind of really love the premise of it. I think you'll agree with me when I say that most people read fantasy to escape reality, if only for a while. But wouldn't you love it if the two worlds combined? Wouldn't you LOVE it if your favourite character walked up to you and just started chatting? (Unless your favourite character is Smaug, in which case, run.) Traveler by L.E. DeLano is a story about just that. I am so intrigued by this, and luckily I don't have to wait long before I can sink my teeth into it. 

(picture from Goodreads)

On the 1st of March I will be spending even more money. This is such a lush cover, 100% its going to be face out on my shelf. 

Goodreads synopsis: 

Jessa has spent her life dreaming of other worlds and writing down stories more interesting than her own, until the day her favorite character, Finn, suddenly shows up and invites her out for coffee. After the requisite nervous breakdown, Jessa learns that she and Finn are Travelers, born with the ability to slide through reflections and dreams into alternate realities. But it’s not all steampunk pirates and fantasy lifestyles…Jessa is dying over and over again, in every reality, and Finn is determined that this time, he’s going to stop it… this Jessa is going to live.


I apologise if this post has already cost you some money. But not really because this is what money was made for - spending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment