2.9.16

Are there ANY good mermaid books?

I'm a big fan of fantasy, anything that can take me out of my own reality and put me in a mythical place with ancient creatures and unique names, I will jump in headfirst. So I've already read some amazing books about witches, werewolves, vampires, warlocks, fairies, cyborgs, Valkyries, were-panthers, dragons, hobbits, elves, dwarves, lycans, and water wraiths, but I have yet to read a good book about mermaids. 

Peter Pan is one of my favourite Disney/live action movies, and I love the mermaids in it. Obviously The Little Mermaid is what you would think of first when you think mermaid movie, but I like how they're portrayed as slightly evil and alluring. I suppose that comes from the generic tales about mermaids, how they use their beauty and mysterious nature to lure sailors into the water before they drag them into the depths, drowning them. 


I like it when something isn't always as it's perceived, good can turn out to be pure evil and evil can surprise with a kind nature. In saying that, I love it when evil is just purely psychotic and mad, the best example being The Joker.

Basically, I really want to read a good book about mermaids. Something that combines classic mythology with a really gripping storyline. I have recently picked up Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, which has had some really good ratings and reviews on Goodreads, and so whilst I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, I kind of am. 


Goodreads synopsis:

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
 

If anyone has any suggestions for any good mermaid books them please  let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment