29.8.16

Notting Hill Carnival - Don't forget why it's here

If you live in London and you haven't heard of Notting Hill Carnival, you must be living under a rock. Or at the very least, deaf. This year is the 50th anniversary of Notting Hill Carnival, 50 years of celebrating Black Culture in London. Everyone goes to carnival, it's something that I've seen every year since I've was born. Even if I didn't actually venture outside, my windows would always be vibrating with bass from the giant trucks with mammoth speakers and bubble machines just outside my house. I love the music, I love the colour and the people, how happy and equal everyone is. Everyone enjoys the music, the food, and for the most part, everyone is relaxed. For black and minority ethnic people who live in London and don't have the opportunity to be surrounded by their culture or miss it on a day to day basis, it's a great event to let loose and be you


Starting at Great Western Road, through Chepstow Road and Westbourne Grove and down Ladbroke Grove there are dancers, stalls with food, big floats and trucks blasting great music, and lots of dancing. It's basically the best way to spend any weekend. It's also a way to teach people that black culture and traditions are just fantastic, and anyone who thinks different can go suck an egg. Notting Hill Carnival started because of the murder of Kelso Cochrane in 1959. And as the festival continues to draw more and more people, (last years turn out was over one million people) I think people are starting to forget. With the #BlackLivesMatter movement, I really hope people realise and educate themselves. Partying is great, but here's hoping that comradery lasts past the dancing and music this weekend. 44% of London is black and minority ethnic people, and everyone deserves equality and to be accepted. 


I've been listening to music from previous carnivals whilst writing this, and I'm debating getting some Caribbean food from Turtle Bay tonight. I'm may just get some coconuts and make some cocktails! Hope everyone whose at the carnival today stays safe and enjoys themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment