28.8.16

Review The Girls by Emma Cline.

The Girls was difficult for me to get through. I liked the beginning, the style of writing was really easy to digest and I was excited to read it as I'd heard about it's dark twist. So for the first part, I was flying through. And as I got to the last 100 pages I once again found myself speedily turning pages. However, it's that chunk in the middle that didn't grab me. I could see characters starting to change shape, and reality starting to peak through the moth bitten haze for Evie, but all in all I was really just waiting for this big thing to happen. 


I think maybe I went into this with high expectations, and I didn't come out underwhelmed exactly. I would still recommend this to people who like a good contemporary novel, or those who have an interest in reading a story similar to the creepy Manson family. 

Cline has created a story that drew me in with a tale about a girl who falls out with her friend, her parents get divorced, and then suddenly gets swept off her feet by Suzanne, and gives in to temptation. It is definitely a good book, and I'll probably read something like this again when I'm fed up of living in a magical world of Valkyries and dragons, but there's slim chance of that. 

I don't regret reading this book, I think I'm just a lover of drama, being overly melodramatic myself.  

4* read. 

Goodreads Synopsis: 

Evie Boyd is desperate to be noticed. In the summer of 1969, empty days stretch out under the California sun. The smell of honeysuckle thickens the air and the sidewalks radiate heat.

Until she sees them. The snatch of cold laughter. Hair, long and uncombed. Dirty dresses skimming the tops of thighs. Cheap rings like a second set of knuckles. The girls.

And at the centre, Russell. Russell and the ranch, down a long dirt track and deep in the hills. Incense and clumsily strummed chords. Rumours of sex, frenzied gatherings, teen runaways.

Was there a warning, a sign of things to come? Or is Evie already too enthralled by the girls to see that her life is about to be changed forever?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment