3.3.17

Illumicrate - All the Bookish goodies

So this is my third Illumicrate *happy dance* For those of you who don't know what Illumicrate is, it's a quarterly bookish subscription box based in the UK. Three boxes in and I haven't been disappointed once! Unlike other bookish subscription boxes, there is never a theme for each box, it's always a complete surprise. Daphne (Winged Reviews) always does a brilliant job finding things you actually want to use and display and read! There is more information at the end of this post about how to subscribe to your very of Illumicrate!

So without further ado, here is what we got in our February box! 


As I always seem to be in need of bookmarks nowadays, (never read more than two books at once, it gets messy!) so these two are a welcome treat! A very cool Illumicrate exclusive bookmark of Newt Scamander from Jane's Tiny Things, and a bookmark promoting Sophia Bennett's upcoming book Following Ophelia coming out in March. Another exclusive Illumicrate item is the Magic and Mischief lip balm from Bookish Serendipity Co WHICH LITERALLY SMELLS LIKE DIGESTIVE BISCUITS. It's probably the Shea butter and coconut oil in it but oh god it makes me want tea and biscuits so bad. Unfortunately, it tastes like nothing. But I suppose that's for the best. 


The next couple of items were quite exciting, they go with my current read A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab. Magnets with quotes on them from A Darker Shade of Magic, the first in the series of the Shades of Magic trilogy - 
"I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still." and A Gathering of Shadows, the second - "She bent most of the rules, she broke the rest." 
I love this series, and I've just started collecting the hardbacks so I'm more than happy to have more to add to my soon-to-be V.E. Scwhab shelf. 
These lovely magnets are from Her Bookish Things, and I will definitely be browsing her products for some more things.
(Book not included in box)


More postcards to add to the collection! This time one from Gilded cage by Vic James, a book that I haven't bought yet but it is on my list! I love the gold cage on the front cover so this is cool. We also have a sampler from the upcoming Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh, and after reading this I NEED THIS BOOK. Mulan inspired story! YAY! 


Look for the bear necessities, the simple bear necessities..
Exclusive to Illuimicrate is the Bear Necessities pouch from Literary Lifestyle Company who do much more than just pouches. Tote bags, cushions, prints, shirts, necklaces, mugs, etc. all uniquely designed and literary themed. I think it will be difficult to see this pouch and not start singing in my head. Not that that's an out of the ordinary thing to happen anyway. 

Moving onto the books! 


Notice, I said 'books' plural. Two books in one box, yeeees. The first being a proof, Red Sister by Mark Lawrence soon to be release in April. I was literally on twitter about to ask for a proof of this when my Illumicrate came, haha. 

Goodreads Synopsis: 

I was born for killing – the gods made me to ruin.

At the Convent of Sweet Mercy young girls are raised to be killers. In a few the old bloods show, gifting talents rarely seen since the tribes beached their ships on Abeth. Sweet Mercy hones its novices’ skills to deadly effect: it takes ten years to educate a Red Sister in the ways of blade and fist.

But even the mistresses of sword and shadow don’t truly understand what they have purchased when Nona Grey is brought to their halls as a bloodstained child of eight, falsely accused of murder: guilty of worse.

Stolen from the shadow of the noose, Nona is sought by powerful enemies, and for good reason. Despite the security and isolation of the convent her secret and violent past will find her out. Beneath a dying sun that shines upon a crumbling empire, Nona Grey must come to terms with her demons and learn to become a deadly assassin if she is to survive…

Love a fat book. And I love stories where girls become assassins. Excited! 


Aaaaand the main book! Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones! A book based on David Bowie's pants in Labyrinth. I'm not lying, Jae-Jones tells us so in her letter. To be honest, I think that's a marvelous reason to start a book. I did already have a copy of this, (I couldn't resist the Goblin King) but my best friend Kayleigh had it on her list! Two happy bookworms. I gave her the bookmark but the signed bookplate is stuck in the front of my copy on my TBR shelf. I really can't want to get stuck into this, I have high hopes! 

Goodreads Synopsis: 

Beware the goblin men and the wares they sell.

All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.

But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.

Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world.



Another great Illumicrate with lots of good contents. If you want to subscribe to Illumicrate then head on over to the website http://www.illumicrate.com/ and do it now! Right now you can get 10% off your first box by using the code WBD2017. Get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment